Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring!



Old Town is bustling today with this warm weather! I took yesterday off and so I'm in the gallery today. I popped out for some coffee (iced pike roast with room, one pump vanilla, and a splash of milk - my first iced coffee of the season). There was a bluegrass band on the corner of Union & King right outside the Torpedo Factory doors. People and their dogs of course were everywhere (Old Town is a certainly a dog lovers place). The man with the bird rescue is out on the docks with his parrots. I can't believe last week Alison Sigethy (an artist at the TF) and some Alexandria locals were out on the dock building a snow man & a snow puppy). Yesterday was the annual St.Patricks parade - we missed it though b/c we were working on our first garden (first real one - we had some pots and window boxes in out condo but that doesnt count)

Alexandria is a great place to live - and Old Town is an inspiring place to work. When I worked in Tysons it was a bit stifling - lots of traffic, lots of office buildings, lots of corporate America. Living there was fun bc we were right on the border of Falls Church - great restaurants & the mall was close so it was nice being able to just pop over to the mall without it being a big ordeal. But we really are adjusting to living in Alexandria. Del Ray has that great small town vibe, with an inviting Avenue of shops a cafes, and we are so close to the DC city line that it's easy to get out to a gallery opening, go see some live music, try a new restaurant.



Friday we had a very fun double date with our friends Eric & Karin. We met at Rustico for dinner - amazing americana food, wood grilled pizzas, hundreds of beers. I am so not a beer person but after sampling the raspberry beer - I had to order one. We got to hear all about their trip to Venice during Carnevale. Yes I am jealous! They then came over to see the new place, and we then went to get coffee and dessert at Evening Star. It was such a nice evening. I've been consumed with work lately (it seems) and this was a nice distraction and time spent with kevin and friends recharged my battery.

No comments: