Wednesday, March 11, 2009

an ode to the cadet cabinet...


so as some of you have heard, we have a teeny tiny kitchen. very small. no drawers. 5' tall fridge. no space for pots and pans, or anything else that goes in a kitchen - like silverware. Mary, my friend (and boss) has the same house we do about 1/2 a mile a way. her kitchen has about 4 inches more room (wide) than ours b/c of the way our electrical has been set up.

Well, I was over at her place on Monday, and she has bought the perfect cabinet/pantry from cb2, a modern spin off from Crate & Barrel - and when I saw it I was in love. Not because it is so beautiful, or my ideal piece of furniture, but I was euphoric at the thought of having a little storage in my kitchen. Somewhere I could store all of our food which would then make room for all of our kitchen goods that are in 2 cardboard boxes at the bottom of the basement stairs (ugh).

Well when I came home Kevin and I hopped online and pulled up the measurements. We got out our trusty tape measure (which as a new home owner knows, we must always have this on hand) and got ourselves all excited at the prospect of precious storage. oh, well then disappointment set in when we realized that those 4 inches that Mary has in her kitchen...four inches we don't have...makes the Cadet cabinet slightly too big. I have to admit this small set back made me feel defeated at first...well more than "at first" I dwelled on it for a few days, and now I'm writing this ridiculously long blog. But I am determined to find the perfect solution to our tiny kitchen (until I can knock out that pesky load bearing wall between the dining room and kitchen). If you have a tiny kitchen and can give me some insight, I would love to hear it :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm antsy about standing in your kitchen and figuring something out...I'm all about space management.